Fauji Foundation (also known as Fauji Group), is amongst the largest business conglomerate in Pakistan which “Earns To Serve” the interests of ex-servicemen.
It is basically a Charitable Trust founded in 1954 for the welfare of the ex-servicemen and their dependents. It is incorporated under the Charitable Endowments Act 1980.
The history of Fauji Foundation dates back to 1945, when a Post War Services Reconstruction Fund (PWSRF) was established for Indian War Veterans who served the British Crown during WW-II. At the time of partition (1947) when Pakistan came into being, the balance fund was transferred to Pakistan in the proportion of its post WW-II veterans. Till 1953, the fund remained in the custody of the civilian Government, when in 1954 it was transferred to the Army.
The Army instead of disbursing the balance fund of about Rs 18.2 millions (USD 0.2 million) among the beneficiaries, invested it in establishing a Textile Mill. Later from the income of the textile mill, it established first 50 bedded TB hospital at Rawalpindi.
Fauji foundation is proud that from Rs 18.2 million in 1953, it today runs more than 18 industries, the income of which is utilized to serve about 9 million beneficiaries (5 % of country’s population). Generally, more than 80 percent of the income goes towards the welfare activities every year.
The welfare is conducted through health care, education and vocational/technical training. To a limited extent welfare is also a by-product of employment generated for the beneficiaries through commercial and welfare activities. Presently, the welfare is conducted through 115 medical facilities, 100 Schools & Colleges, 65 Vocational Training Centers and 9 Technical Training Centers.
The commercial activities are generated through two categories of projects namely:
- Fully Owned and Affiliated Projects
- Associated Companies